2011 Musjid-ut-Taqwa, Pietermaritzburg, KZN, South Africa .
Hazrat Moulana Dawood Seedat Saheb (DB)
Above transcript extracted from Haz. Mol. Dawood Seedat Saheb's Majaalis in dated 23 June 2014. Should you wish to listen to the full programme, download the MP3 audio file from HERE
RAMADHAAN SHAREEF IS UPON US
Alhamdulillah we have come now to the doorstep of Ramadhaan Shareef. There are a few things that we should do, if we have not already done so, and a few things we should keep in mind.
· Keeping roza is fardh. It has become a trend for people to avoid the roza by using flimsy excuses. We will have to answer to Allah Ta’ala,
· In so far as health conditions and the taking of medication are concerned, it can be managed by altering the dosage times. People suffering from major illnesses should seek proper medical advice from a mutaqee physician.
· Make taleem of the masaa’il of roza by reading a good fiqh kitaab.
· Partaking ok sehri is an essential ingredient in keeping roza. It is mentioned in a Hadith Shareef that Nabi (Salallahualaihiwasalam) mentioned to the effect that the difference between our roza and that of the jews is that we partake of sehri. Sehri should be made in the last portion of the night.
· We should try and rise a few minutes earlier for sehri and set aside some time to perform Tahajjud salaat and dua.
· As far as possible, read the Fajr salaat with jamaat in the Musjid.
· At least for this month, avoid groups of friends and any sort of distraction form ibaadat. Don’t get involved in after taraweeh braai’s, getting together for coffee and idle chat. Try to keep focused on the fact that we are in Ramadhaan and we need to reap big thawaab in this time.
BE PASSIONATE ABOUT KEEPING ROZA AND DON’T TREAT IT AS A BURDEN
· Taraweeh is Sunnat e Muakadah. If it is missed then we have committed a sin.
· Women should try and read the taraweeh and Esha salaat as soon as is reasonably possible. Those who don’t have extra responsibilities, like young children and babies, should try to lengthen the Taraweeh salaat by reading longer surahs. If the person is fluent with Surah Yaseen, Surah Mulk etc. these should be read.
· It is sunnat to perform the taraweeh and it is also sunnat to complete a khatam of the Quraan Shareef in taraweeh. This must be given due importance and it must be emphasised that going for programmes at different Masaajid is secondary to completing a Taraweeh khatam.
· Takbeer-e-oola of the salaat is very important. We should try to make every salaat with jamaat and Takbeer-e-oola (first takbeer). It is important that those who are guilty of waiting for the imam to go into ruku before joining the salaat correct this, as it is disrespectful to the Quraan Shareef that is being recited.
· Leave the PPC (pavement punchaath club) for after Ramadhaan. It is utterly abhorrent that the Quraan Shareef is being recited in Taraweeh, and adults find it in their best interest to stand in the parking lot chatting and puffing on cigarettes. We need to ask ourselves, is this the honour that we afford the Quraan Shareef ?